Full Job Description
Department Spinnaker Media Position Number 916100 Requisition Number 062476 Position Type Federal Work Study Full Time/Part Time Part-Time Time-limited through Hours up to 20 hours per week Hourly Rate $10.00
- The Multimedia Journalist (MMJ) position is responsible for regularly covering news, features, and sports stories as assigned by the appropriate editor. The Multimedia Journalist works with the Editor-in-Chief, and Managing Editor, and News Editor to coordinate storytelling in its various forms across all platforms, including print, digital and broadcast, using words, photography, video and audio. The Multimedia Journalist is primarily responsible for the ongoing news coverage of campus events and content of interest to UNF students, faculty, and staff.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may be asked to perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of Spinnaker. Employees must meet the responsibilities and qualifications of the position consistent with up to 20 hours of competent effort each week.
The Multimedia Journalist will:
- Cover a beat and/or follow up on future story leads as assigned
- Contribute story ideas to the editor
- With training, must be able to shoot and edit video, make a deadline, double-check facts, never plagiarize, exhibit fairness.
- Learn/use basics of reporting, writing, editing, photography, videography, audio production
- Complete at least two publishable, compelling, timely stories with multimedia elements to Spinnaker’s website per week
- Go over each assignment with the editor to determine what sources, interviews, and records should be secured; edit the first draft with the editor; incorporate the editor’s feedback in subsequent drafts as needed.
- Attend weekly editorial meetings unless excused
- Build and post office hours within the first week of the semester
- Complete basic news training classes when needed
- Applicants for this position must be eligible for and accept Federal Work-Study Funding; must attend the FWS orientation; must be enrolled in at least six semester hours; and must have met satisfactory academic progress requirements in order to receive financial aid.
- This position requires an understanding of the foundational principles of journalism and storytelling
- Must be continuously enrolled at UNF for the duration of the position and not be on academic probation or suspension as defined by the most recent University of North Florida course catalog.
- Completed coursework in journalism is helpful but not required for the position.
- Statement(s) of Understanding N/A Statement(s) of Understanding Definition
- Equal Opportunity
- In 2018, the University of North Florida (UNF) received the prestigious INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award, the only application-based national award for U.S. colleges and universities that exhibit an outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion across their campuses. In addition, UNF ranked highest among the 80 HEED institutions and was also recognized as a 2017 Diversity Champion.
The University of North Florida (UNF) is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In building this environment, we strive to attract students, faculty and staff from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences. The University of North Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not commit or permit discrimination or harassment on the basis of genetic information, race, color, religion, age, sex, disability, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or veteran status in any educational, employment, social, recreational program or activity that it offers. In addition, UNF will not commit or permit retaliation against an individual who complains of discrimination or harassment or an individual who cooperates in an investigation of an alleged violation of University Regulation.
UNF is a Carnegie Community Engaged Institution. This designation celebrates the University’s collaboration with community partners from the local to the global level. It reflects UNF’s mission to contribute to the public good and prepare educated, engaged citizens.
The University of North Florida promotes the quality and effectiveness of education and strives to maintain the highest standards of academic excellence in all phases of instruction, research/scholarship/creative activity, and service