Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The World Bank Group (WBG) is committed to achieving diversity in race, gender, nationality, culture, and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
External and Corporate Relations Vice-Presidency (ECR)
The mission of External and Corporate Relations (ECR) is to help deliver financial and political support for the World Bank Group, strengthen the Bank Group’s role as a global thought leader in development by enhancing and safeguarding its reputation, and supporting operational teams to achieve country outcomes. ECR manages corporate communications and global engagement with key stakeholders, including media, civil society, foundations, private sector, donor countries, and international organizations, as well as employee engagement. ECR also manages strategic communications for the World Bank’s Regions and Global Practices and leads the management of reputation risk.
External Communications Middle East and North Africa (ECRMN) employs an extended team of professionals in World Bank Headquarters and across country offices, including Egypt, to support the overarching goal of promoting peace and stability in the MENA region. The mission of ECRMN is to connect and engage with diverse stakeholders, promote an informed and evidence-based debate about development in the region, and enhance the Bank’s reputation as an effective development partner for the countries of the MENA Region. ECRMN’s key audiences include government officials, think tanks and researchers, business leaders, civil society organizations, development partners, journalists, and internal decision makers within the World Bank. ECRMN uses the full array of communications tools and methodologies to build awareness and understanding and mobilize support for development goals.
ECRMN is offering a 2-year term full-time staff position of an External Affairs Officer specialized in digital media based in Washington DC and is looking for an experienced, hands-on External Affairs Officer who will lead the World Bank Group’s external corporate presence and reputation in MENA through its digital platforms (web and social media) to inform MENA audiences about who we are and what we do in MENA; raise awareness of development issues and share development knowledge with our clients in English, Arabic and French
The World Bank in the Middle East and North Africa: https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/mena
Duties and Responsibilities:
Oversee and manage the World Bank MENA online, including identifying, developing and publishing relevant content for MENA audiences.
- Develop and execute online content strategies in consultation with the ECRMN Manager and staff
- Prepare and maintain a web editorial calendar in coordination with country and GP regional staff.
- Ensure that all web sections and website content in English are up to date and perform per governance and editorial guidelines, making changes to corporate multilingual pages as necessary.
- Ensure the quality of original content and translations on MENA site and online channels.
- Establish key performance indicators and review web metrics reports; share results and recommendations with corporate and regional management and staff.
- Develop and lead the implementation of online campaigns to target and engage MENA audiences, and measure success in achieving goals.
- Ensure the overall accuracy, consistency and quality of content on MENA site and channels.
- Help develop and document guidelines for writing, translating, publishing and maintaining the MENA site, drawing on accepted best practices for web writing and including substance, tone, style, voice and vocabulary.
- Conduct marketing campaigns (Google keyword ads, and social marketing); define proper sets of keywords, write ad copy, and identify social influencers to target; monitor campaigns and report on results.
Lead on the overall editorial strategy for the World Bank’s social media presence in MENA
- Design and execute social media campaigns and initiatives, working in close coordination with CO ECRMN communication staff and MENA GPs on content and message development, and ensure coordinated planning and execution with other relevant WBG units.
- Coordinate strategy and production of visual assets (organic and paid) between web, multimedia and regions. Work with language editors to help implement campaigns in English, Arabic and French languages. Share packages to Web producers and upload assets and messages to Hootsuite.
- Develop and expand the Bank’s MENA online community, including influencer outreach, and strategies for increasing positive interactions with our social media audience (ie, responding to questions, live and other engagement opportunities); be an advocate for the Bank in social media conversations.
- Use data to measure key performance indicators for each corporate channel, continually monitoring for progress against our goals and adjusting tactics as needed to achieve positive results
- Provide monthly reports on the Bank’s social media performance, identifying opportunities, issues and areas of influence
- Continue to build and retain social media followers, increase engagement on social platforms as well as devise strategies to increase website traffic
- Prepare and maintain a social media calendar and planning tools in coordination with teams from corporate communications, Global Practices, and MENA country offices
- Oversee the work program and mentor staff/consultants working on digital media as needed
Support MENA regional leadership social media effective presence
- Support the Regional VP and senior management on travel/missions, coordinating with relevant country offices, GPs’ regional management and ECRMN staff.
- Support senior management’s social media strategy; advising and coordinating key issues, campaigns.
Risk and issue monitoring and management
- Monitor for risks in content being produced and promoted for the web and social media channels.
- Provide as-needed risk and issue management reporting, and timely responses to unfolding issues
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science or other related disciplines, with a minimum of 5 years (with master’s) or 8 years (with bachelor’s) of relevant experience.
- Excellent written and spoken command of English. Command of Arabic and or French is desirable.
- Extensive experience using multiple Web Content Management Systems to publish digital content, including working with multimedia, and ability to effectively use Photoshop. Ability to edit video and audio a plus.
- Extensive experience using social media publishing tools such as Hootsuite, and experience using social media listening tools, such as Talkwalker, as well as experience with web and social analytics and tools.
- High levels of initiative, judgment, and decisiveness in accomplishing tasks; proven ability to work independently; good time-management skills and an eye for detail; ability to work effectively under stress and to juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines.
- Able to work with staff at various levels, from senior management to unit-level communications staff, to demonstrate how social campaigns deliver impact to broader business and marketing objectives; a proven marketer of ideas and leader in promoting social media as a tool that unlocks new ways of engaging audiences and supporting business objectives.
- Advanced knowledge and hands-on experience with social media platforms (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Google+, Flickr etc.) and demonstrated ability to apply creative ideas for how to engage/interact on them.
- Excellent copyediting and writing skills to produce top-level content and provide editorial oversight for social media channels.
Experience identifying risks and issues as related to the Bank Group’s work
For information about WBG Core Competencies, please visit: https://bit.ly/2kbIA7O
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.