The Salem Web Network (SWN) is seeking an online editor in our Richmond, VA office.
The Editor will be responsible for producing and publishing freelance content for several SWN editorial websites, primarily Crosswalk.com. The right candidate will be excited by the idea of delivering the highest quality articles about faith, the Bible and the church to a Christian audience, and will be instrumental in helping engage readers through strong titles, strategic use of newsletters, SEO optimization and social media posts.
Also of importance will be regular daily scheduling and maintenance of a large portion of Crosswalk.com’s daily devotional content. Other duties will include editing and uploading articles, interfacing with freelancers and other content providers, collecting material for our email newsletters, managing user feedback, having input on site design and strategy, lining up book excerpts and interviews, as well as occasional opportunities to write – including articles, devotionals, and news stories. You will become a contributor to the overall, collaborative vision of the SWN editorial team.
The ideal candidate:
- Will have a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or Communications or equivalent experience. 1-2 years experience managing large editorial or web projects, even at the college/internship level, is a plus.
- Must demonstrate a basic understanding of evangelical Christian culture and familiarity with our audience’s interests, behavior and values.
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Must have solid writing and editing skills, and experience writing to deadline (successful candidates will be asked to complete an editorial test).
- Will display a strong work ethic and operate productively in a team environment.
- Must demonstrate innovation and creativity.
- Must be conversant in socio-cultural issues impacting the Christian Church.
- Will display an ability to interact with both corporate and religious communities.
- Will show a general understanding of Microsoft Office applications, Google Drive, social media websites, general internet practices, and CMS/blogger admin familiarity.
- Experience conducting interviews is a plus.
- Experience with Facebook marketing for a commercial or non-profit entity is a plus.
We offer a competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please provide cover letter, resume, and 2-3 published articles (or links).
This is an editorial position, not a technical one, although some basic technical training on our content management and operational systems will be part of the job.
Though we are teleworking at this time, this position is located in our Richmond, Virginia office; preference toward candidates who are local or willing to relocate.
The SWN websites exist to offer fresh and compelling biblically-based content to Christians who take seriously their relationship with Jesus Christ. We work hard to provide timely, pertinent, searchable, intriguing, life-enhancing material from qualified, respected Christian sources, with an understanding that the Christian faith applies to all areas of life. The SWN editorial team manages content for the following online brands, among others:
Crosswalk.com offers content that helps Christians apply their faith to the daily issues they face in their church, family, community and culture.
iBelieve.com provides an emphasis on personal, faith-filled experiences, publishing an authentic examination of what it means to be a Christian woman in today’s culture.
ChristianHeadlines.com gathers news headlines important to Christians and features reporting and commentary on current events from a Christian worldview perspective.
BibleStudyTools.com offers the highest quality features and resources to aid Christians in a better practical understanding of the Bible.
Christianity.com provides a wiki where people of all faiths or levels of belief can find answers to questions about the Christian faith.
Content created by the SWN editorial team is syndicated to the Salem Media Group “faith talk” and “fish format” radio station websites.
Salem Web Network is a division of Salem Media Group, the nation’s largest Christian media company. As the leading provider of Christian and family-friendly content on the Internet, SWN operates over 50 websites. Salem Media Group is an equal opportunity employer