o oversee all aspects of a model athletic communications department as it relates to the promotion and publicizing of the University’s 22-sport program, including the dissemination of information to local, regional, national and hometown media outlets.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Demonstrate respect for the Catholic and Franciscan values of the university.
- Demonstrate the ability to relate effectively to student-athletes, coaches, staff, administration and the University community.
- Participate in and promote a culture of continuing quality improvement.
- Manage all aspects of media relations for athletics, including coordination of interview requests from varied media outlets.
- Oversee all aspects of writing and distribution of news releases.
- Design, write and publish all department publications.
- Oversee maintenance and upkeep of athletics website.
- Manage all athletics social media efforts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Prepare game notes for certain home sporting events.
- Prepare and disseminate all statistical information required by conference, regional and national affiliations for all sports.
- Provide necessary information as it relates to nomination of athletes and coaches for conference, regional and national awards.
- Maintain archive of all athletic programs, including newspaper articles and statistics.
- Hire and supervise all student workers within the athletic communications department.
- Oversee all aspects of budget preparation and management.
- Represent the athletic department and university in a professional manner at various internal and external functions and in working with internal and external constituencies, including but not limited to the media and general public.
- Serve on various university committees as assigned.
- Perform other administrative duties within the department as assigned.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- Three years of experience in an athletic communications-related setting.
- Strong writing, interpersonal and communication skills.
- General knowledge of computers, statistical software and desktop publishing.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position.
- Ability and willingness to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Willingness to support the Catholic and Franciscan values of the University.
- Master’s degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- Website and graphic design experience.
- Knowledge of StatCrew and/or Presto statistical software and Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Strong photographic skills.
Full-time hours vary, but do include weekends, nights and holidays.
Physical Requirements of Position
Work is performed in both an office setting and at athletic arenas with moderate exposure to varying weather conditions, but minimal health or safety hazards. Substantial time is spent working on a computer. This is sedentary work, which requires the following physical activities: sitting, walking, bending, stooping, finger dexterity, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity. Some travel may be required. Hours of work include some nights, weekends and may include working up to 12 hours a day.