FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
As a member of this key team in the largest publicly funded behavioral health and developmental disability agency in the Commonwealth of Virginia, you will develop, manage, and implement the CSB’s multi-media communications, internal and external communications, and outreach efforts. Bring your knowledge and proven experience in writing, editing, video, graphic design, social media, promotions, and event planning to an agency with crucial messages to deliver to more 1.1 million residents.
Responsibilities include managing the agency’s intranet and creating and editing internal communications pieces directed towards more than 1,100 employees. Additional job duties include writing and editing content, researching, and implementing innovative campaigns, and working closely with staff at all levels of the agency, across county agencies, and within the community. Creative thinking, collaborative processing, and team building are important assets to help meet the demands of a fast-paced communications environment. Attention to detail and organizational skills are also important elements of this position.
A cover letter and resume are required when applying. Providing a portfolio of work and submitting pre-interview assignments are part of the interview process. This is one of two available positions being posted.
Note: To learn more about careers that make a difference, watch our video “CSB: Making a Difference in Our Community”
- Serves as a member of the department’s communication planning (strategic planning, action planning) team;
- Produces multimedia productions to support the goals of the department (multimedia may include audio, video or online productions);
- Implements and supervises the implementation of print production projects;
- Implements and supervises the implementation of website development and new media projects;
- May serve as spokesperson for the department with the media;
- Budgeting and cost control for communication projects that are supervised;
- Conducts audience / constituent research for evaluation and measurement of communication programs;
- Planning and implementing photographic coverage of events;
- Plans and implements a Speakers Bureau or plans speaking engagements for department;
- Plans and implements event and meetings;
- Writes speeches for presentation to community and County;
- Writes proposals in support of departmental goals and projects;
- Makes presentations on behalf of the department to community and County;
- Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ability to supervise the work of others in publication management, multimedia development, community relations or media relations;
- Ability to write, edit and design for departmental publications;
- Ability to write for multimedia;
- Ability to use photography equipment and to plan photography coverage;
- Ability to format online media;
- Ability to use current computer software and email;
- Ability to develop or create Web sites;
- Ability to solve problems;
- Ability to be able to manage projects (including budgeting);
- Ability to be able to communicate in a crisis;
- Ability to adapt broadly defined policy guidance to specific situations with a minimal amount of supervision;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to participate in meaningful interchange of views on matters of critical importance to the County;
- Ability to plan and review the work of others;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public, the press, and County employees.
- Employment Standards
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following: (Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for: Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to:)
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, public administration, political science, or field related to a department’s business, plus five years of progressively responsible experience in communication area of specialization or area of specialization of department represented.
- NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a Child Protective Services Registry, and sanction screening to the satisfaction of the employer. A TB screening upon hire and annually thereafter.
This position is emergency/essential services personnel. (Required to report for duty during inclement weather and/or other emergencies).
- Experience implementing social media campaigns and online content.
- Experience writing and editing social media, articles, news releases, and marketing pieces.
- Experience in internal intranet management.
- Experience with creating video public service announcements.
- Experience writing for internal and external audiences.
- Proficiency in video editing/creation, with 1-3 years of experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite, Canva or other graphic design software, web metric tools and social media platforms.
- Some knowledge of and experience with SharePoint, HTML, or other web content management systems.
- Some experience editing pages and content in SharePoint, HTML, or other web content management systems.
- Ability to use photography equipment and to plan photography coverage.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of principles, standards, and best practices of communications, marketing, and public relations.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Ability to effectively communicate with others in person, on the phone and in writing. Ability to use keyboard; lift, carry and transport items weighing up to 20 pounds; and travel to CSB and community sites requiring communication project support. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or status as a veteran in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.