About the job
Our Mission.. Kern Health Systems is dedicated to improving the health status of our members through an integrated managed health care delivery system.
The Business Intelligence Analyst roles are responsible for the design and maintenance of corporate Key Performance Indicators (KPIs); organizational reporting; as well as analytics with healthcare information, organizational financial data, and operational systems and processes.
The Business Intelligence Analyst II position is a junior position in the organization and one of the primary interfaces for reporting management, health analytics, and data governance. The role will have strong problem-solving skills, able to initiate investigative efforts for root-cause analysis through data mining and be an independent or collaborative thinker. The position is able to interact with the business and other technical disciplines and contribute to the organizational dashboards and KPI’s for operational issues or maintenance. The Business Intelligence Analyst II works with internal and external customers to develop actionable reporting and delivers data products in report, presentation format, or verbally, to customer specifications and timelines with thoughtful evaluation of the data or information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate and contribute in the Agile and Project Management methodologies through planning to execution (i.e. requirements gathering; decomposition, development, etc.) in support of department or corporate projects.
- Be an organized individual that is willing to accept responsibility, demonstrates good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness, and is able to adapt and learn quickly.
- Ability to learn/be mentored from peer and senior roles not limited to but including operational process analysis; core and peripheral technologies and systems; presentations, etc.
- Works directly with internal business partners and management for data collection, data analysis, methodology, and related technical documentation
- Understanding of the statistical principles and able to apply them in data analytics.
- Practical application of the techniques used in relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) and working with Data Analytics, Reporting and Process Improvement teams to optimize Operational Data Store (ODS) or Data Warehouse
- Advanced Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) skills with experience creating presentations, templates, charts, pivot tables, formulas and calculations.
- Full understanding of the Structured Query Language (SQL) with the ability to create complex SQL statements within various data structures.
- Has a deep understanding of one or more major business disciplines with a full understanding of the processes, functions, and operations of the Managed Care Organization (MCO).
- Able to identify and describe current technology, facilities and equipment, location and products and services for one or more major business disciplines, with an understanding of the technical architecture.
- Understanding the influence of data, created or used by a department, on operations in the assigned department and the ability to document or investigate issues as to why a certain behavior or outcomes are exhibited through department’s data or reports.
- Provide and validate standard metrics and information around process improvement to ensure that project goals, objectives, or Return on Investments (ROI) are achieved.
- Participates in gaining consensus on guidelines and metric definitions (Key Performance Issues/ KPIs)
- Creates and maintains inventory of all KPI’s, metrics, operational and regulatory reporting for the organization
- Create professional reports for presentation, verbally and written, to management with adherence to specifications and timelines and with thoughtful evaluation of the data.
- Facilitate meetings or communications as an interface between business units, technology teams, and other support resources.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Provide user education of business intelligence and self-service analytical applications to promote self-service and reduced reliance on technical resources in order to obtain information.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Statistics, or Mathematics from an accredited school or equivalent; or related field with an academic demonstration of analytical skills required; AND four (4) years’ working experience with a Managed Care Organization (MCO) or similar type organization performing complex analytics or similar type of work;
Eight (8) years of experience with a Managed Care Organization (MCO) or similar type organization in a business role with a minimum of four (4) years acting primarily in a business analytical capacity; OR, an equivalent combination of education and business analytical experience on a year for year exchange of experience for education to be reviewed individually by Human Resources.
Other: Possession of valid California Driver’s License and proof of valid State required auto liability insurance. Required Travel Up to 5%.