About the job
Breaking News Reporter
The Opelika-Auburn News, a division of Lee Enterprises, is seeking enthusiastic
Breaking News Reporters
with unparalleled curiosity to help us understand and effectively cover a booming college town.
This position is for journalists looking to dive into their careers and who have a knack for getting to know a place, building strong working relationships with sources, and mining social media for local trends and story ideas. Reporters in this position will have the ability to find and report breaking news urgently and accurately, to explain things to our audience, and to tell compelling stories that capture the spirit of our community. The ideal candidate will have a desire to write for readers instead of for sources, and a mindset that focuses on people instead of process.
Key topics in our community include, but are not limited to, all things Auburn University, business and development, the food scene, secondary schools including sports, and people who inspire the rest of us. Breaking News Reporters may have the opportunity to move on to a particular beat or area of coverage.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Mass Communications, Strategic Communications or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One to two years’ experience at a smaller newspaper is preferred. Newspaper internships and strong college newspaper experience will be strongly considered.
- Solid news judgment and the ability to recognize a good story.
- Comfort using social media with the ability to use it to figure out what’s happening and to engage with people.
- The ability to shoot serviceable photos and videos that can accompany written stories or stand alone as multi-media stories.
- Team player with solid interpersonal and communication skills.