Reporting to the Director of Athletics Communications, assists with the day to day communications and media relations for all 16 NCAA Division I sports as directed by the Director of Athletics Communications.
Founded in 1927, the school is named after former Tennessee Governor Austin Peay, a Clarksville native. Austin Peay is a four-year public, doctoral-level university, with six colleges and four Chairs of Excellence. Austin Peay’s strategic plan focuses on five goals that will guide the University through the next 10 years. The five goals are growing enrollment, building student success, sustaining University growth, expanding diversity and enhancing communication.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs the role of an internal beat reporter, focusing on telling compelling stories in written, video, social media, graphics or other innovative formats in collaboration with team members in External Operations.
- Assist with the content generation and management of the athletics department website. Write and edit various department communication materials, including media guides, postseason publications, press releases, game notes and content for the department’s website.
- Work closely with athletics marketing staff to promote stories of the department through digital and social media platforms.
- Develop and write, both in news and feature form, press releases about the coaches and student-athletes and disseminate this information to the media and to the public via the athletics website and social media platforms in an effort to publicize teams.
- Nominate and promote student-athletes and coaches for awards.
- Maintain historical records, statistics and photographs among other important department information.
- Provide support for television, radio, and video/audio streaming broadcasts of games and events as needed for the athletics department.
- Assist with the student intern program and gameday staffing.
- Travel with teams when deemed appropriate.
- Primarily responsible for the sport of Football with additional sports as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to efficiently operate a personal computer and associated software (Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, video editing software (including, but not limited to Sony Vegas Video and Final Cut Pro), etc.) and Ellucian Banner.
- Demonstrate knowledge, understand and commitment to compliance with APSU, OVC and NCAA policies, rules and regulations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations, the University community and the public.
- Ability to maintain files accurately, in paper and in software programs.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledge of requirements for compliance with all NCAA and OVC rules related to the responsibilities of this position.
- Ability to effectively coordinate events and programs with the media.
- Ability to write, edit and/or develop articles, reports and publications.
- Ability to edit video.
- Ability to organize and coordinate athletic events.
- Ability to accurately prepare and maintain records and reports.
- Ability to work nights and weekends, including irregular and extended hours, in preparation for and during athletic events.
- Ability to travel with assigned teams for competitions as required.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing or related field.
A minimum of two (2) years of work experience in sports information and/or media relations.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An official transcript will be required of the selected candidate before the candidate will be offered a position. Review will begin on June 11, 2021