Full Job Description
How to Apply
In addition to your resume, please submit a cover letter where, in one page or less, you describe how this role fits your career goals. Your submissions will be used to assess storytelling and writing skills during the initial screening process.
SAMPLES OF VIDEOS, PHOTOS, ANIMATIONS, AND/OR GRAPHICS YOU HAVE CREATED MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH APPLICATION. NOTE THAT THE SYSTEM ONLY ALLOWS FOR ONE SINGLE FILE ATTACHMENT, SO ASSETS SHOULD BE INCLUDED VIA LINKS TO YOUR PORTFOLIO AND/OR WEBSITE IN YOUR RESUME OR COVER LETTER.
Keenly aware of the power of social media to shape conversations, drive engagement, and measure impact, you are an avid consumer of online trends and advocate for innovation. You have demonstrated skills in developing and designing visual assets, capturing campus activity through photography, and recording and editing captivating video for impactful storytelling. This is an opportunity to work with a global brand that serves as a standard of best practice for social communications across higher education. You will be an important part of UMSocial’s team of communicators reporting to the Director of Social Media and Public Engagement in the Office of the Vice President for Communications. Your detailed project management mindset is vital in this role to ensure deliverables are on time and of high-quality. You will be challenged to explore, adopt and implement the latest trends in social media and technology to keep communities engaged in all aspects of campus messaging, from community building, to events and public health messaging, to pride. Ability to prioritize efforts and help manage department workflow in a fast-paced environment is highly valued. Evening and weekend work will be necessary.
This position reports to the Director of Social Media and Public Engagement and is part of the University of Michigan central social unit (UMSocial) located within the Office of the Vice President for Communications.
- Create and present original concepts and designs for highly visible multimedia projects and campaigns, including interviews, photography, social, video, animations, gifs, print, and web.
- Manage visual consistency, innovation, and quality control across all U-M social media properties and the President’s Public Engagement initiative, including YouTube, TikTok, Instagram Reels, U-M Student Vlog Series and the Michigan Minds Faculty Podcast.
- Create and maintain social media editorial calendars that deliver compelling content aligned with the U-M brand.
- Design and develop strategic communications (print, web, multimedia) that visually and contextually communicate organization and unit messages.
- Communicate with cross-campus stakeholders to gather information and capture visual assets for events, meetings, news, and promotions.
- Create and manage an organizational system for all raw footage, photos, and audio captured, including production equipment and hard drives.
- Direct and/or train lower level specialist and interns’ designers to maintain design standards and meet client communication needs.
- Monitor and report on influencer trends and technologies
- Research, source, build, manage, and nurture influencer relationships/groups/communities
- Work with actors, models, hosts, and the general public while providing creative direction
- Perform other duties as required or assigned that are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, media, or related field: Required
- Two to three years of combined film, video, photography, animation, content creation, and digital strategy: Required
- Proficient with DSLR cameras, audio recording and editing, and set production: Required
- Passion for social communications, innovation, branding, and promotions: Required
- Knowledge and success in creating Instagram stories, gifs, and animations; Required
- Experience working collaboratively to set goals, implement projects, and assess success: Required
- Demonstrated success in communicating and creating in the social space: Required
- Accustomed to the strategic use of social platforms for brand awareness, strategic accomplishment, reputation management, and customer
- Ability to determine and execute social strategy, working closely with cross-functional team members to meet business objectives: Required
- Available outside normal business hours: Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, proficient in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and style necessary: Required
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline and handle several projects at once: Required
- Ability to take both direction and initiative: Required
- Skilled multi-tasker, excellent listener, and extremely organized: Required
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite or similar creative software: Required
- Interest and experience in podcast development, digital marketing, and emerging trend video production: Required
- U-M EEO/AA Statement
- The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.