Full Job Description
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
CNN’s coverage of lifestyle, wellness, travel, style, space and science topics is found in our high-quality, cross-platform editorial offerings. We cover a broad range of topics from a global perspective, and content and product initiatives aimed toward a highly engaged, direct-to-consumer audience. We’re searching for an Associate Writer who can contribute to this evolving journalist imperative.
The Associate Writer will work closely with section editors to pitch and write news, features and other content across a variety of topic areas. The ideal candidate is a strong writer and a well of creative concepts and ideas that will push CNN’s storytelling forward. When it comes to breaking news and trending stories, this person is comfortable with reaching out to various departments and sources for quotes and statements in order to produce stories quickly and accurately. They must have a capacity for more enterprise reporting and demonstrate the potential for narrative storytelling. The position requires the candidate to work self-sufficiently, but also effectively communicative with editors
- Pitch compelling and original stories and ideas that adhere to CNN’s editorial mission.
- Research and develop information sources and build a reliable source network.
- Be accountable for the life of assigned content, from production to release through, in some cases, ongoing refreshes and updates.
- Write a variety of story times, including developing multimedia ideas and consistently meet agreed upon deadlines.
- Produce content in various management systems (CMS, newsletters, etc)
- Help ensure the optimum performance of editorial by refining headlines, tease images and social language.
- Work closely with social and programming teams to ensure the smooth flow of content around the site and social networks.
- Reporting research, sometimes for other writers and projects.
- Factchecking of one’s own stories and possibly others.
- College degree or equivalent industry experience.
- At least one year of relevant experience in digital journalism working for reputable publications
- High quality writing and reporting skills
- A willingness to work a flexible schedule to meet the demands of an unpredictable news cycle
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.