Full Job Description
- Connecticut Post Assistant Managing Editor
- Hearst Connecticut Media Group’s journalists cover communities in Fairfield and New Haven Counties and beyond, serving readers across platforms, including our sites, app, newsletters, social media accounts and more for eight daily and 13 weekly newspapers.
- We’re looking for an enterprising, audience-focused and collaborative Assistant Managing Editor to join the Connecticut Post at a time when we’re growing digital subscriptions.
- This editor would help oversee aspects of a number of vibrant, unique communities located in and around Connecticut’s largest city, as well as write stories about those communities. The leader for this position should be adept at helping produce high-impact enterprise while also managing a daily flow of stories to inform and engage a large swath of local readers.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Works collaboratively with editors, other reporters, photographers and audience team members to tell impactful stories across platforms that engage and retain local subscribers and other readers
- Conceptualize and assign stories aimed at growing digital subscriptions, guiding staffers through the reporting process and editing their work with excellent command of grammar, usage and AP style
- Reports and writes quickly and effectively to break news online and follows up when appropriate with more in-depth enterprise pieces
- Demonstrates a high comfort level with analyzing and interpreting metrics and uses them to inform coverage decisions in real-time and the long-term
Develops the talents of staffers, offering constructive criticism of their work. Coordinates with managers in other newsrooms and non-editorial departments on projects
- Demonstrated experience producing high-quality breaking news and enterprise journalism across digital and print platforms
- Experience writing and/or editing at a newspaper, news website or magazine
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, English, communications or related field preferred
- Demonstrated success working in a deadline-driven environment
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks
- Ability to speak a second language like Spanish a plus
- Valid driver’s license and a working vehicle are required for this position
Send a cover letter and resume to Hearst Connecticut Media Group Managing Editor John Ferraro at email@example.com and Connecticut Post Managing Editor Keila Torres Ocasio at firstname.lastname@example.org .
HCMG is committed to growing and retaining a more diverse workforce that better reflects the communities we serve. We strongly encourage all people of working age, who are traditionally underrepresented in media to apply, including women, people of color, applicants with disabilities, those from the LGBTQ+ community and veterans.
Some great candidates may not check all the boxes for this role. If you’re a passionate, dedicated worker who’s interested in Hearst Connecticut Media Group but don’t have all the skills listed here, please still reach out and tell us more about what you bring to the table.
This full-time job with benefits is based in Bridgeport and is not eligible for remote candidates.