About the job
Summer Discovery is seeking to hire non-credit pre-college instructors for various Summer 2021 courses. Summer Discovery is seeking to hire non-credit pre-college instructors for various Summer 2021 courses. Classes meet for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon on Haverford College’s Campus in Haverford, PA for a total of 9 class days each session. Adjunct Instructors will be paid a flat rate of $1,600 per 2-week session for a total of $3,200 for the 4 weeks.
Each summer, Summer Discovery offers motivated high school students the opportunity to learn on a college campus. Various dynamic programs and courses provide talented and motivated high school students opportunities to learn more about a subject area of their interest. These programs enable students to learn from qualified pre-college instructors, subject matter experts and gain hands-on learning experience through classroom activities. Our mission is to provide the best experiential, university-based summer academic programs that positively change students’ lives from around the world.
Instructors are responsible for:
- Developing the pre-college curriculum
- Maintaining a Summer Discovery Canvas site to provide academic materials and disseminating course information. (Canvas training provided) (Instructors have 24/7 access to canvas technical support)
- Delivering lectures and facilitating discussions
- Posting pre-program readings and other prep work on the Canvas site
- Identifying and securing at least 2 to 3 applicable, compelling guest speakers tied directly to course objectives to enhance the learning experience. (Guest speaker may be virtual for summer 2021)
- Deliver day-to-day lessons and hands-on learning activities. (36 hours of instructional time)
- Creating a safe, supportive academic environment
- Current graduate student or master’s or terminal degree; from an accredited institution in an appropriate area of specialization. Ph.D.* preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of or experience with course subject matter and evidence of service to the profession.
- Undergraduate teaching experience is preferred.
- Project-based teaching and curriculum development experience is preferred
- Must be at least 21 years of age, be available for the full 6 weeks (June 29 – August 5) and be eligible to work in the US.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Google Docs, and online learning platforms
A course syllabus developed in Canvas with a course description, learning objectives, assignments, assessments, and recommended guest speakers is also required for review by the Director of Educational Development.
Courses currently available are (This list is dynamic and subject to change):
- Advertising in American Culture Academy
- Art + Architecture Academy
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) + Robotics Academy
- Business 101 Academy
- Careers in Medicine & Health Science Academy
- Computer Programming Academy
- Economics for Future Leaders Academy
- Essentials of Sociology and Public Policy Academy
- Finance + Entrepreneurship Academy
- Game Changers: Business Disruptors Academy
- Genetics + Engineering Academy
- Journalism, Media + Communications Academy
- Sports Management Academy
- US Law + Mock Trial Academy